Re: [Monotone-devel] How to not be anonymous

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] How to not be anonymous
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:31:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:12:36 +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:

> When I have that kind of trouble, it often means I've forgotten
> something on the server side...  either I've forgotten to put the public
> key in its database, or forgotten to put the key id in the
> read-permissions file...
>
> Since you use usher, I assume you log each underlying server in a
> separate file?  Have a look in it, you might find the answer there (you
> often get a more detailed answer on the server side)
>
> Cheers
> Rihcard

The usher log wasn't very helpful.  It just told me that the server refuse
anonymous access.

mtn: beginning service on 127.0.0.1 : 15000
mtn: accepted new client connection from 127.0.0.1 : 52139
mtn: warning: error: anonymous access to branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.slides'
denied by server
mtn: peer 127.0.0.1:52139 IO failed in working state (error)
/usr/local/bin/mtn: operation canceled: Terminated

But your mention of forgetting to put the key in the database was exactly
on.  Once I fixed that,  everything worked.

This raises the question why I was getting a message about anonymous
access instead of about address@hidden being
unknown.  Surely a misleading error message.

As always, thanks for the help.

-- hendrik