Re: [Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 209 - support drop/modified conflict

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 209 - support drop/modified conflict (monotone)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:25:32 +0200

Stephen,

On 06/13/2012 03:20 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> The user deleted a file by mistake. mtn has no clean mechanism for
> undoing that, but it does have a reasonable workaround. I think you are
> saying that using that workaround 'obscures die-die-die behavior'. Ok,
> that's true. Why is that a problem? It is consistent with mtn in
> general, and it is what the user wants. More importantly, it is not new;
> it has been in mtn all along.
>
> The 'keep' resolution in nvm.issue-209 is just the workaround formalized
> and made easy.

That's exactly what I'm opposing to: it's still a work-around. It has
its gotchas. And while it's certainly true that it's been with mtn so
far, I don't consider that an argument for making the work-around less
visible to the user; working behind the scenes - only to trap him later on.

That being said, a warning in case the user chooses the keep-work-around
might already suffice to mitigate my point. That should at least help
making the user aware that the "keep resolution" isn't really a
(re)solution, but just what it has always been: a work-around, now made
easier to apply.

Regards

Markus Wanner