Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:59:15 +0200

Hendrik,

On 07/18/2013 07:31 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> So standard monotone's cvs_import is different from what's on the
> cvs_iport branch, as described on http://wiki.monotone.ca/CvsImport/,
> even assuming that page is up to date.

Yes. And yes, that page seems roughly up to date.

> And there's also
> http://wiki.monotone.ca/Branches/nvm.cvsimport-branch-reconstruction/
>
> which bears your name and says "Status: Work in Progress Still
> close to completion".  Do you know if that status is still valid?  or
> if anyone else might have worked on it or be on the case?

I think that status is still valid. I'm not aware of anybody else
working on it.

> Is it still worth doing?

I personally don't think so. You might simply give it a try on your
specific CVS repository.

>> You might want to check if cvs2svn can be of help. They have a nice git
>> export function and their CVS sanitizer code is field proven. I'm not
>> sure if you can get that into monotone, though.
>>
>>> Is the conversion a one-time event, or can it keep up with further
>>> revisions on the cvs site withoug having to start over?
>>
>> There are all one-time conversion options, which need access to the RCS
>> files on the CVS server.
>>
>> tailor may be an option, if you want a continuous mirror.
>
> THe main need for a continuous mirror I see would be during transition
> from CVS to monotone. There would likely be work in progress on the
> old system while the new one is being adopted.
>
>> It certainly
>> has a monotone plugin. I'm not sure what the status of cvs_sync is, but
>> it's intended to provide continuous synchronization as well.
>
> tailor (http://darcs.net/RelatedSoftware/Tailor)looks interesting,
> thanks.

I'd recommend going for either that one (for continuous stuff) or using
or adapting cvs2svn (if you want a perfect one-time import).

Regards

Markus Wanner