[Monotone-devel] nested workspaces

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: [Monotone-devel] nested workspaces
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 17:19:16 -0500

I've never found a clear discription of what happens with nested workspaces.
Maybe I just haven't looked enough.

For example, I may have a project and a subproject.

I checkout the project, and get a directory fill of stuff, including a
_MTN directory.

Subsequently cd into that and check out another project into a new
directory I'll call subproject.  It too has a _MTN directory.

How do these two interact.

I presume that when I'm in the subproject directory, monotone will see
just the subproject.

But when I'm in the main  project, to what extent is monotone aware of
the subproject?  When doing things like mtn list known, does it see
the _MTN file of the subproject as a warning not to go there?

Or can I take files that are part of the subproject and add them into
the main project as well, so that both monotones apply updates to the
same file?

Or can I even go so far as to put the _MTN directories of the
subproject under revision control as part of the main workspace? (I
suspect this is a bad idea; I'm interested in just what the limits
are).

Or what?

I'm thinking of using this in a context where the subprojects are
really independent projects in their own right, but the main project
contains their workspaces, documentation files that organize the
collection, and other files that may or may not later become projects
in their own right.

Assuming this model is feasible, of course.

 -- hendrik