Re: [Monotone-devel] fixing old commit messages

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] fixing old commit messages
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:05:59 +0200

On 06/14/2014 06:32 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> When I commit a revision, I get to write a message explaining what this
> revision does.
>
> But sometines I look at the old commit messages and cringe.
>
> I have troubleetyping correctly, and there are often typos and worse.
>
> Is there any way to edit an old commit message?

What I sometimes do is commit to a private feature branch, where I don't
have to worry much about the commit message. Then "merge" the branch
with mtn pluck, thinking harder about the message after the entire
feature is done (testing takes a while; usually I end up having multiple
commits in the branch or even merges from the parent branch) and then
suspending that feature branch.

Of course, you need to plan ahead for that to work. And technically it's
not really editing the commit message, but rather adding an intermediate
step. But one that doesn't need to be visible to others.

Regards

Markus Wanner