Re: [Monotone-devel] serialization format

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] serialization format
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 23:49:15 +0200

On 04/07/2016 11:37 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> There's a version number in the internal format, so we don't need a flag
> day (or maybe that was on a branch; anyway, we can add one). We do need
> to maintain both formats for compatibility with old databases.

There's a version identifier for things like certs, revs, etc.., yes.
However, in any case, there's a point in time where monotone stops using
the old format and starts to use the new one. We can soften the
migration by prolonging the time between the first release that supports
a feature until we activate it. (Not that past flag days had a pretty
narrow window...)

I even thought about a mtn:features attribute (on the root node),
allowing users to switch on features per branch, as they see fit. For
example, I still want atomic certs. That feature will require at least a
new version, if not a new format, for certificates. Certainly something
that monotone-1.1 doesn't understand. So 1.2 might still need to write
the old format/version, at least by default.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner