Re: [Monotone-devel] Multiple databases

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Multiple databases
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 14:29:51 +0200

Brian May wrote:
> Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Through some kind of incompetence, I seem to have ended up after years
>> of use with multiple monotone databases with the same name.  I don't
>> even know if their histories are compatible or whether they have nothing
>> at all to do with each  other.  Desiring to have only one (except for
>> sync-style redundance), and that one being valid and up-to-date, I'm
>> going to have to examine them to see what's in them, and how they
>> differ.
>
> First steps would probably be listing the branches (see if that helps
> you) and checking out the repositories.

Yup, first check branches, then simply "sync" them… the name of the DB
doesn't really matter, it's the name of the branch that matters "more",
but even having duplicate branch names shouldn't be a big issue (I'm not
sure about that) because it's graph that matters, not branches (that are
simply tags on the nodes).

$ mtn -d test1.mtn ls branches
it.lapo.test
$ mtn -d old.mtn ls branches
mtn: misuse: database '/home/lapo/t/orig.mtn' is laid out according to
an old schema.
mtn: misuse: Try 'mtn db migrate' to upgrade
mtn: misuse: (this is irreversible; you may want to make a backup copy
first)
$ mtn -d old.mtn db migrate
$ mtn -d old.mtn ls branches
it.lapo.test
% mtn -d test1.mtn pull 'file:///home/lapo/t/old.mtn?*'

Now test1.mtn will contain all of the changes from "old.mtn" too.

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/