nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that don't fit elsewhere
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 17:08:57 +0100

Op 27-01-19 om 02:59 schreef David Niklas:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 17:23:45 +0100,
> Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This Tools menu could also contain the Full-Justify command,
>> which is now in the ^W menu where it is completely out place,
>> the Cut-to-end-of-buffer command that is now dangerously bound to
>> the single keystroke M-T, the Linter command, and the Spell-Check
>> command, besides the Feed-buffer-through-external-command command.
>
> Can't we just change one of the current menus? For example, instead of
> a tools menu we could have a filter menu?
>
> ^R^R Replace
> ^R^W Full justify
> ^R^X Feed-buffer-through-external-command command
> ^R^L Linter
> ^R^T Spell check
> ^R...

But, but...  ^R is the Read File or Insert menu.  How do the other things
in that menu make sense as tools?

> That would make more sense then a tools menu because I'd know that if I
> want to filter something, through and internal or external command, that
> it would be found there. Tools could be considered as including, for
> example, find next and find previous.

No, find-next and find-previous are not tools, they are jumping commands,
somewhat like <Ctrl+Up> and <Ctrl+Down>, just with a different target.

> Or an even better idea, is for the toggly thingies to be in their own
> menu. I don't change them often enough for the justification of their own
> key bindings and the ones you want can be set in ~/.nanorc,

That might be an idea.  It would group the toggles nicely together in
one menu, with two help lines indicating their function, without the
need to access a help text (in which the toggles do not work -- I have
long had the idea to make the toggles work also in the ^G help text).

Benno