[Nmh-workers] mhbuild Content-Disposition header

From: David Levine
Subject: [Nmh-workers] mhbuild Content-Disposition header
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:22:48 -0500

The Subject was:

  [Nmh-workers] suppress Content-ID's with new mhbuild option?

That's taken care of.  The discussion had evolved to the mhbuild
directive created by send's -attach option.

> > > Any suggestion on how to associate the option values with the build
> > > directive?  printf style?
> > >
> >   whatnow: -attach X-MH-Attachment='#%T; name="%N" <%C>[%D; %M] %F'
> >
> > I don't see why that needs to be configurable instead of hard coded.
>
> I want to use something different than what's in the code.

Though maybe all we need are two kinds of directives.  Currently, with
attach, mhbuild directives look like:

  #text/plain; name="foo.txt"; x-unix-mode=0644 <>[ English text ] /tmp/foo.txt
  #application/pdf; name="foo.pdf"; x-unix-mode=0644 <>[ Adobe Portable
Document Format (PDF) v1.2 ] /tmp/foo.pdf

mhbuild translates them (along with everything else that it does) to:

I want:

  #text/plain <>[attachment; filename="foo.txt"] /tmp/foo.txt
  #application/pdf <>[attachment; filename="foo.pdf"] /tmp/foo.pdf

which mhbuild would (almost) translate to:

The "almost" part is that mhbuild currently creates
Content-Description instead of Content-Disposition.  I
hijacked the Content-Description information and used it to
form the Content-Disposition header (with or without
-attach).  (Is that a good idea?  Or, should
Content-Description be maintained, and new code and data
fields added to support Content-Disposition?  I have no need
for Content-Description.)

Selection of the second form above could be controlled by a
-contentdisposition (or -rfc2183) switch to mhbuild.  So
with default settings, nmh behavior would be unchanged.
This would be very easy to implement.

David