Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 20:40:17 -0500

>now that i know it's "just" an rfc-822 header, it all makes sense.  ;-)
>(it also totally dissuades me from trying to add real comment support.  ;-)

You now realize why rewriting m_getfld() is so important :-)

However, we did solve the comment problem in another way; we updated the
documentation for 1.5 to document the correct comment format (#:).  Which
as you'll note is simply a cheap hack, but avoids the curse of
Van Jacobson :-)

I will note that among all of the current people who have either
worked on or expressed interest in working on nmh, I think the only
one who has built up enough Internet Karma to avoid the curse would
be Paul Vixie :-)

Speaking of the devil ... Paul Vixie writes:

>Given that we no longer use pdp11, we can afford the code space
>of a config file reader that knows comments and lacks the other
>rfc822 features not used in config files and has reasonable error
>messages. Let's start by removing those callers of getfld by giving them
>something better to call instead.

Sounds fine to me.  I think the only RFC822-ish feature we really need is
line continuation.

--Ken