[Nmh-workers] A --prefix friendly install

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: [Nmh-workers] A --prefix friendly install
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:38:11 -0700

Our current directory layout for default installations is quite biased toward
our owning the entire installation directory tree.  In particular, we directly
spam .../etc with configuration and template files, and .../lib with back-end
executables.

This layout isn't very friendly with 'configure --prefix=/usr/local'.

I would like to adopt a more Berkeley-ish layout. Specifically, moving
.../etc/* to .../etc/nmh/*, and .../lib/* to .../libexec/nmh/*.  This more
closely follows current filesystem layouts, and for those which don't, we still
avoid spamming their existing directories.  And in the default case, under
/usr/local/nmh, nothing is upset internally.

My only concern is with where the manpages get installed.  Currently we put
them under .../share/man/.  That seems to be the autoconf default location.
But for most of the systems I have access to, versions of man that adapt their
search path based on $PATH search on ../man for every .../bin they find in
$PATH.  So I'm wondering if it might not be better to install under $prefix/man
rather than $prefix/share/man by default?  We might have to tune this in
configure.ac, but I think installing in .../man will work for most OSes.

If anyone objects to these location changes, please speak up soon.

--lyndon