Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a c

From: heymanj
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 14:04:39 -0500

On 7 November 2014 at 10:49, address@hidden:

> Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
> (Half a year ago)
>
>>I've thought about the nmh target audience ... I guess my thinking is the
>>ideal nmh user be programmers who want a flexible MUA that can make use of
>>many of the features of the Unix command line.
>
> Have your ambitions changed in the intervening six months? Specifically, do
> you believe that nmh is now a "flexible MUA" for a user who does not know MIME
> and does not have access to somebody who knows both nmh and MIME. Or that such
> a MUA is even possible, in 2014?
>
>>I'd still like a user be able to walk up to a nmh installation and the basic
>>commands be useful without any configuration, though.
>
> But is such a user better off wih nmh or with some GUI based MUA?

In the 27yrs I'm using [n]mh, I've always used a GUI frontend, but also
used it on the command line.

Over the years I've gone through xmh, exmh, and now sylpheed (and sylpheed
isn't a *pure* [n]mh frontend, but understands the MH format).

When it comes to MIME, that has been the predominant reason for my use of
a GUI frontend.  When I'm on my local machine with a display, the GUI is
used.  When I connect remotely, I use the command line commands.  A MIME
encapsulated email is a bit hard to handle via an ssh session.

>     Norman Shapiro

jerry
     // Jerry Heyman               | We are all born ignorant, but
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | one must work hard to remain stupid
\\ //   heymanj at acm dot org     | -- Benjamin Franklin
 \X/    http://www.hobbeshollow.com|