Re: [Nmh-workers] Format function to create wrapped header lines?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Format function to create wrapped header lines?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 19:15:03 -0400

>FWIW, when I see a draft with References that is getting a bit long,
>I just (manually) delete all the stuff in the middle) - that is, leave
>in the oldest (one or two) and the most recent (one or two) and delete
>everything in between - no-one has ever complained about my messages
>breaking any threading schemes (in fact, does anyone actually use
>References for that, rather than just In-Reply-To and Subject ?)

Actually ... yes.  At least some of the complainers are on this list!

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2015-08/msg00047.html

(And that's not the only message regarding that).

>If it isn't already done though, this header (and all others) ought to be
>wrapped if it (they) ends up being too long for the std when the message is
>posted (and that needs to happen regardless of what format the message
>was in when created as a draft, as the user may have added thousands of
>references on a single header line - or made a huge Subject: or Comments:
>header as one line, or listed the whole club's e-mail addresses in the
>From: or ...)

Hm.

This actually suggests to me that having this done in the format engine
is wrong, and the RIGHT place to do it is inside of mhbuild, which is
the tool that converts a draft file (which doesn't technically have to
be in RFC 5322 format) into a valid RFC 5322 message, and we should do
that for a number of headers.  I suspect that might be too much for 1.7,
though.  Due to liberal use of %(formataddr), we're mostly fine for
address headers.

Would people be happy with that?

--Ken