Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 13:45:08 -0400

david wrote:
 > Laura wrote:
 >
 > > I interpreted this to mean local sysadmins at the site where you are
 > > running nmh, i.e. somebody at Chalmers University, not you people.  If
 > > you want to hear from people, I think you need to be a whole lot more
 > > welcoming.
 >
 > How about this, in nmh(7) and the output from install-mh(1):
 >
 > BUGS
 >    Send bug reports, questions, suggestions, and patches to nmh-
 >    address@hidden  That mailing list is relatively quiet, so user
 >    questions are encouraged.  Users are also encouraged to subscribe.
 >
 >    If problems are encountered with an nmh program, they should be
 >    reported to the local maintainers of nmh, if any, or to the mailing
 >    list noted above.  When doing this, the name of the program should be
 >    reported, along with the version information for the program.
 >
 >    To find out what version of an nmh program is being run, invoke the
 >    program with the -version switch.  This prints the version of nmh, the
 >    host it was compiled on, and the date the program was linked.
 >
 >    New releases and other information of potential interest are announced
 >    at http://www.nongnu.org/nmh/ .
 >
 > > This is one place where I would like a link to documentation, at some
 > > master site, (so you can read it even if the docs never made it to
 > > where they are supposed to be for your distro.)
 >
 > Unfortunately, there isn't such a site.  If the man pages didn't get
 > installed, that's a packaging problem.  Modern nmh should be easier for
 > packagers to deal with than older versions.

any reason we couldn't in principle have a separate git tree on
savannah just for "compiled" man pages, and other docs?  i suppose
html would be most friendly, but a simple
    nroff -man ali.1 | col -b
for each man page, along with a top-level index.html, might be a start.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 59.4 degrees)