Re: unquoted period in display-name in address field?

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: unquoted period in display-name in address field?
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 06:38:00 +0300

Ken and David,

thanks for the clarifications.  i didn't even think to look at the rules
for sending, rather than receiving.  i guess we implement *half* of
Postel's strategy for interoperability: be conservative in what you send
[we are], and liberal in what you accept [not w.r.t. periods, anyway].

> Right (in incoming, but not newly created, messages).  This note in
> RFC 5322 Sec 4.1 is kinda interesting, esp. in light of the comment
> below:

>     Note: The "period" (or "full stop") character (".") in obs-phrase
>     is not a form that was allowed in earlier versions of this or any
>     other specification.

proobably that should have been re-worded in rfc5322, as, the same
verbiage exists in rfc2822.

thanks again.

cheers, Greg