Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 17:45:31 +0000

Hi Torsten,

Ken's already answer some of your questions...

> so this is my first reply to a mailinglist post - I addressed it to
> you (reply to from:), cc'ed the list and hope for the best.

Yep, that'll work fine.

> > I think it is the problem.  Try adding -initialtls to inc's options,
> > either by editing ~/.mh_profile or just temporarily at the command
> > line where it will augment those in the mh_profile(5).
> >
> >     inc -initialtls
>
> I tried that and now inc is knocking at the door but:
>
>   inc: TLS negotiation failed: error:1408F10B:SSL
> routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number

Perhaps you're trying to establish a TLS connection on a plain-text
port.  As Ken said, the server often offers a TLS version on TCP port
995 in addition to the plain-text one on 110.

    $ egrep -w 'pop3s?' /etc/services
    pop3              110/tcp
    pop3              110/udp
    pop3s             995/tcp
    pop3s             995/udp
    $

> Should I insist on getting inc to fetch from the remote host?  Or is
> the fetchmail setup good enough?

I use fetchmail(1) because when I set all this up, nmh's inc(1) couldn't
talk POP3.

> ... it seems that inc does not see new mail that procmail 'delivered'
> into inbox - only when I us C-u M-x mh-rmail and choose the inbox
> folder with 'all' do I get to see all mails, including the unread
> ones.

Ken's explain inc has nothing to do; procmail has done inc's job for it.
There are MH-E users on the list so hopefully they can chip in with what
keystrokes will ‘re-scan’ the folder so you see what procmail's
delivered, if you stick with having it deliver to the nmh folder.

> ... they seem to be the ghosts of the list emails that have been
> sorted by procmail into their mailinglistfolders?  but they show in ls
> and have weight as in take space? Are they in both places - respective
> listfolder and inbox?

I wouldn't have thought they're leftovers from procmail.  See rmm(1) for
details of rmmproc and refile(1) for -link to use a hard link.

‘ls -li ,42’ will show the link count as the third word and tell you if
the comma file is a hard-link to another copy of the email elsewhere.

> I am reading this list across the years and the manual (rand-mh book)
> plus the MH-E info file in emacs.

Jerry Peek's book is very good, it's what I learnt from.  The man pages
also attempt to detail every option and many options have been added
since Peek's book was written.

--
Cheers, Ralph.