Re: message-Id has localhost

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: message-Id has localhost
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 20:22:07 -0500

Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:
    > To Mike's question:

    >> Can we just use "localname" from mts.conf?

    > We COULD, it would just be wrong for some people.

Agreed, but it was the first place that I looked to fix things.

    > That's the "local" hostname, and is used for a bunch of things INCLUDING
    > constructing the default hostname for email addresses.  But here's a
    > thought experiment: let's say you set it to 'gmail.com' because your
    > email is hosted at gmail.  There's no way you could guarantee your
    > Message-ID isn't going to be used by gmail.com already.  Yes, you could

I think that's reasonable, but is there actually anything anyone could do
here?  They really need to pick something else which is not gmail.com.

    > things.  We could add another knob, but honestly I'd rather people just
    > use 'random' if the existing logic doesn't work for you.

That's fair enough. I can live with random as well.

    > Well, technically, it's constructing the Message-ID based on the value
    > of the 'j' Sendmail macro, which is used for a ton of things; that macro
    > value is configurable and in my limited sendmail experience you usually
    > do explicitly configure it (I do not know what that defaults to).

Yes, exactly, I was going to quibble at your analysis, but it wasn't worth it.
All I'm saying is that gethostname() is probably better default than whatever
it was that you posted that canonicalized it.