Re: Request for running compare_plot_demos

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Request for running compare_plot_demos
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 09:56:53 -0800

On 01/15/2019 04:10 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

Thank you for taking so much time and effort on these bugs!  Here some small contribution to this.  It really took a while (about 2 Hours) but here we go (openSUSE 15.0; Octave 5.0.1 [hg-id_6657213145e5] with gnuplot, fltk, qt, and Matlab R2018b):

The Matlab script "dump_plot_demos" generated by "compare_plot_demos" is 17k lines long and Matlab refuses to run it:

   Error: File: dump_plot_demos.m Line: 1 Column: 1
   The input was too complicated or too big for MATLAB to parse.

I love it.  Octave has bragging rights that it can run a script that Matlab can't even parse.

Thus I needed to comment the halve, ran it, commented the other halve, ran it again, and finally merged the diary-outputs.
Additionally, four times the double parenthesis indexing ()() was used, which is not supported by Matlab. I split those occurrences in two statements.

Can you report those four occurrences as a bug?  There's no reason we can't right the %!demo code to run under both Octave and Matlab which would make this easier in the future.

Anyways, the results look very convincing!  Can we put this on the website after the release maybe? ;-)

You're correct that we rarely do enough marketing on behalf of Octave.  Maybe we can do more to promote this release which looks to be a significant one.

--Rik