Re: PKG_ADD and package loading state when called

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: PKG_ADD and package loading state when called
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:18:39 -0800

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 15:21:59 -0500, Andrew Janke wrote:
> I notice that when the PKG_ADD file is called, the architecture-specific
> directory of the package has been added to the Octave path, but the main
> package directory has not. So PKG_ADD can't call any non-octfile functions
> in the package. Is this expected?

Have you tried adding a PKG_ADD file to the "inst" directory?

I agree it's not very clearly documented, but PKG_ADD can exist in any
directory that gets added to the load path.

It's more of an implementation detail of both the 'pkg load' command and
the addpath function that the arch-specific directory is added to the
path first, followed by the arch-independent directory.

The ordering comes from the way that load_packages_and_dependencies
passes package dirs into the addpath function.

> The documentation for PKG_ADD doesn't specify what the package loading state
> will be when PKG_ADD and PKG_DEL are called.
> https://octave.org/doc/v4.4.1/Creating-Packages.html#Creating-Packages.
> Could that be added?

We could document that the arch-specific directory is added to the load
path first, followed by the arch-indep directory, and turn that detail
into an explicit documented design decision.

--
mike