Re: run BISTs for all installed packages

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: run BISTs for all installed packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:11:57 -0500

On 1/21/19 11:44 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
I frequently cross-compile for Windows with all packages. But I very rarely
actually test whether they work as expected.
Is there an easy way to run all BISTs of all installed packages?
Something that would be more streamlined than loading the packages one after the other
and manually running "test" for all files.

Markus

Here's a function to do this.

__test_pkgs__     ## test all installed packages
__test_pkgs__ control   ## test a single package
__test_pkgs__ ({'control','io'}) ## test just a list of specified packages

I'm using this in my (new, experimental) jsonstuff package: https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff. You can have a look there to see how to call it on multiple OSes in a Travis CI environment. (Windows isn't working there yet, but I think it's close.) You can also just run it interactively; it has no dependencies except for Octave itself.

The Windows Octave installers seem to come with a bunch of packages preinstalled, so a plain __test_pkgs__ will end up testing a lot of stuff there.

Currently, when I run it in Windows 10 version 1809 for all packages on Octave 4.4.1, Octave crashes a few packages in. Also crashes on macOS 10.13.6 if I enable the "torture test" mode that tests each package multiple times.

Cheers,
Andrew