Re: RC1 Candidate (windows 64, msvcr100.dll)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: RC1 Candidate (windows 64, msvcr100.dll)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 09:54:15 -0500

On 1/29/19 5:22 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:

Running octave-cli.exe through Dependency Walker shows that the dependency on
msvcr100.dll is through qt5core.dll --> icuin63.dll.
Can we bundle the redistributable package in the nsis installer or somehow else
tell that we dependent on MS Visual C++ 2010?

Alternatively, can we compile ICU without the dependency on MS Visual C++?

We are building icu with GCC so I don't know why it depends on a particular version of the msvc runtime library.

I also wonder if the reports of people not being able to start newer versions
of Octave is related to this.

Possibly.

Also, I was guessing the change happened when we enabled ICU for the mxe-octave build, but that happened well before the 4.4.0 release (made on 2018-04-30):

  http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/rev/0deb76a57fae

Since that change, I disabled icu for 32-bit Windows builds because Qt apparently doesn't use it on those systems.

Looking at these pages, it's not clear to me what the status of icu is in Qt:

  https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_5_ICU
  https://wiki.qt.io/Locale_Support_in_Qt_5