Aw: Encoding in Octave 5.0

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Aw: Encoding in Octave 5.0
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 08:30:10 +0100

Am 29. Januar 2019 um 18:02 Uhr schrieb "Chris Zheng":
> Dear maintainers,
>
> I use Octave within Emacs under Windows 8.1 using Inferior Octave
> mode. With version 4.4.1, the following code
>
> title('é');
> print n.svg
>
> results in garbage content in the Figure window, but the right content
> in the SVG file. However with version 5.0.90 downloaded from
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/octave/, the above code results in right
> content on the screen but wrong content in the SVG file (the wrong
> content is encoded in GBK which is my locale encoding). The code sends
> to the Octave process is indeed encoded in UTF-8. I wonder what is
> changed between 4.4.1 and 5.0, and what can I do to fix the problem.

I can confirm what you describe with the 5.0.90 build on Windows 10: The
strings in the svg should be UTF-8 encoded. But they seem to be encoded in
Latin-1 (which is my locale encoding).

Can you please open a bug report on savannah with your example?
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

Thanks.

Markus