om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Getting started with om...

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Getting started with om...
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:42:16 -0400 (EDT)

Atte André Jensen wrote:
>Hi
>
>I've been looking at alsa modular synth, but since it seems to be
>un-maintained and buggy people suggested om instead. I hope that this
>relatively young project will grow into the opposite (maintained and
>stable).
>
>Anyways, I had a few problems with building om that I'd like to share,
>so that 1) others might know how to solve them and 2) maybe the problems
>could even be avoided in the future.
>
>I installed the packages needed to build om and dssi, which at least
>were (on a relatively fresh debian/sarge):
>libasound2-dev
>libjack0.80.0-dev
>libsamplerate
>libgtkmm-2.4-dev
>libgnomecanvasmm-2.6-dev
>libglademm-2.4-dev
>
>But I never could resolve all of the qt-related dependencies for dssi. I
>ended up commenting out all lines in the Makefile having something to do
>with 'examples', which worked ok. I guess those were some dssi examples
>unrelated to om, which actually only needs the header files...
>
>Anyways, the build seems to have gone fine, ran "om&; om_gtk&" and
tried
>to open a few patches. None of the ones I tried would load, for
instance
>sine.om gave these errors:
>
>ERROR: Unable to load node /sine/adsr_g+t_0
>ERROR: Unable to find object /sine/adsr_g+t_0
[snip]

>Could someone please help me out here? Is my build incomplete, do I
need
>some ladspa plugins (as http://www.nongnu.org/om-synth/quickstart.html
>suggests) or something completely different?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help...

Looks like you're missing the sine oscillator plugin I used in that
patch.  (My example patches are a bit crap right now I have to admit,
apologies for that).

I can't remember which sine oscillator I used - I would highly
recommend just going out and getting every single LADSPA plugin you can
get your hands on.

That error message is a little less than informative - when I get back
home (I'm travelling w/o a laptop right now), I'll flesh it out to be a
bit more descriptive and give you some information about that plugin
that's missing.

Also, in the next version (currently slightly broken in CVS, but will
be out early August) has DSSI (and LADSPA and Alsa etc) as an optional
build dependancy so you'll be able to build without it.

As for maintained and stable, I usually try to be very present and on
top of people's problems when they're brought up.  Keep in mind for
things to get better I need feedback - never hesitate to bring up
things you would like to see happen!

Cheers,

-DR-