openvds-devel

Re: FW: [Openvds-devel] freevsd hijack and 4.5.10 /redhat 7.2 installati

From: rick oneil
Subject: Re: FW: [Openvds-devel] freevsd hijack and 4.5.10 /redhat 7.2 installation
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:50:46 -0800

On Monday 10 December 2001 07:09 pm, Dave wrote:
> Rick,
>
> You stepped on an extremely early pre-release of OpenVDS 1.5.0 which is
> based on FreeVSD-1.4.9 + patches for 1.4.10.
> That release is functional and should be the same as FreeVSD-1.4.10 with
> some mods (namely inclusion for the SSL protocol).

when can we see the OpenVDS 1.5.0 ?

can someone just upload the actual freevsd-1.4.10 release , everyone wants it!

> The Webadmin scripts also, were modified from the original 1.4.5 version
> for development purposes. The main change is the implementation of
> authorization in php instead of requesting mod_auth_mysql. Again, the
> webadmin archive was intended to kickstatr the development...

yes, i've installed the sql version....

> > This, i believe is due to the webadmin's lack of SSL support, am I right?
> > This must mean that my freevsd source compilation does have SSL support,
> > hense the webadmin cannot complete the socket connection.
>
> Correct. You can enable both SSL and PLAIN connection in your xinetd so
> that the appropriate daemon is fired. If you can confirm this (I don't
> remember if the non-ssl daemon is included in the distro and/or compiled),
> it can be a patch for the next release.

in the freevsd-1.4.10pre3 that I compiled, I was able to enable both the SSL
(svsadm) and PLAIN (vsadm) by changing the xinetd.conf values.  After I did
that, I restarted the xinetd, verified that both ports were active via
netstat and the webadmin worked, obviously connecting thru vsadm (tcp port
1725)

> > ----------------
> > Not being a php programmer, what do we need to do to modify this
> > function to
> > support SSL? if that is the reason that the connection is not being made.

> SSL is not natively supported inside PHP nor are the OpenSSL libraries
> present. Currently there's no other option but to use the phpadmin scripts
> on the same server via the localhost interface (for security reasons).

perhaps a java connection? this seems to be crucial for security.  there
needs to be a secure remote administration connection.  a java applet inside
the webadmin webpage perhaps, but SSL seems to be a requirement.