palito-dev

New renderer (was Re: [palito-dev] bback)

From: Tom Barnes-Lawrence
Subject: New renderer (was Re: [palito-dev] bback)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:44:45 +0100

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 12:39:19AM -0300, address@hidden wrote:

> Well, I'm back,
  Hurrah!
> but unfortunatly a bit busy.
  Oh. Well, anyway:

  You're just in time to take a look at the first version of the
(very very simple) renderer I'm knocking togeher for use with Palito.

  I didn't know what format the heightmaps are supposed to be, so
the first version expects heightmaps in .BMP format, the same as
it's output. It expects white to represent the highest points and
black the lowest (but it actually only reads the Red channel).

  There's quite a few issues with it, some of these are explained in
the README, and there's various things I've not done yet. I'm making
this release to see what people think so far (plus, if people think I'm
doing an OK job of it, other people don't have to waste time trying to
make a renderer as well).

Oh yeah, the URL:

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/duologue/software/index.html#iwr

The download has a couple of different heightfields with it, which
is why the download is as big as it is (there's not much code).
To generate the image, symlink the heightfield you want to iwr-hf.bmp,
and run ./iwr-shade. The image will be made as iwr-img.bmp.

> If there is any question not answered by zED, please send them (again)
> so I can answer.

  Well, for the renderer, it'd help me to know what format the
heightfield data is- it looked very strange to me.

  Also, I raised some suggestions in the renderer's README about
ways that perspective could be done (if perspective is wanted).

> About bugs: I'll not worry to much about them now, because I'm working on
> a rewrite (for the client-server model). Sorry.

 Hehe, adding client-server support is nothing to be sorry about!! :)

> Thank you Tom for your interest,
  Thank you for your game!

Now I have to go to sleep, this thing took me too long...
 Tomble