palito-dev

Re: [palito-dev] new user. some questions... some answers.

From: barrett
Subject: Re: [palito-dev] new user. some questions... some answers.
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 05:16:54 -0300

Wellcome Alan.

I second Tom's answer, and Gabriel also put some good points.
I'll just add, about your comments of how easy it seems to do
some of the things planned in the development page, that even
if they're "easy" to do it takes some work. And when you go
put your hands on it and actually write the code, you see that
it's not a light work, even if it's not that complex..

The problem is: there is a fucking LOT of things to do to get
the game working and looking/feeling well, and my aproach to
this problem is: to do every basic aspect of it *work* first,
even in a simplistic form, and only (try to) make it *good*
as a second stage.

For now I'm a bit stuck with the client-server fork, while the
main palito branch is a bit stalled, but I think that in a month
or two we'll see it working again, and maybe by September I'll
release the client-server version. Of course that is only a hope,
as this game is being developed in my (and other's) spare time.
I dream of realising the first alpha version by the end of the year.

Other issue is the graphics system. We are trying to make SDL
work on Windows, and if works ok, we plan to use it exclusively
to ease the pain of making a cross-plataform game.  OpenGL is
also a possibility for the future, as the game data and physics
are already 3D, and the unit and map drawing may easly go that
way also. (Why don't we do it now? Damn, there are a lot of other
things *more important* to worry about (the actual game engine,
the network code, etc.)

Regards,
Barrett.