palito-dev

Re: [palito-dev] Re: New renderer

From: barrett
Subject: Re: [palito-dev] Re: New renderer
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:10:31 -0300

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:37:03PM +0100, Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:
>  Currently, if IWR is worthwhile (Zed seems to think so, but you haven't
> said yet, Barrett!), then the main things I still need to know are:

Yes, and it would be interesting to have a heightfield generator also.
That way Palito could ship with tiny map meta-files, that contain only
the parameters for IWR to generate the maps.

>  -What format Palito's heightmaps are (so IWR can read the damned things!)

The .hf files came from Bryce (it was one of the formats Bryce could
export the heightfield, most others were 3D meshes).
I found out how to read it by hand.
Check the load_heightfield() function at
http://palito.9hells.org/src/palito/src/map.c.html

But I only used this format because of Bryce, it is not meant to be
the default format for Palito heightfields (even BMP would be more
reasonable).
Note, at the load_map() function of the same file, that the .hf
is used only if the heightfield filename ends in .hf, otherwise
BMP is used.

barrett.