palito-dev

Re: [palito-dev] next version

From: Tom Barnes-Lawrence
Subject: Re: [palito-dev] next version
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:14:40 +0100

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 04:12:46AM +0100, Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:
> but that was all I managed! I looked through the server code, and got
> the impression lots of the commands I'd tried typing should have worked,
> but perhaps everything I was typing was just being interpreted by the
> client. Hmm?

 OK, since then I did some more source diving, and worked out that to
get commands sent to the server, I had to start the line with a slash
character. Then after some more source diving, I worked out that I
had to do 2 connect commands (one with the client, to tell it which
server to use, and one to the server, to tell it which name to use).

And eventually, I got a game started with 2 players (yes, both me, on
my own server).

 I couldn't build things (looks like that's #iffed out), in at least
one game, it looked as though one player wasn't seeing the other
player's actions (might have been from joining after the game started,
or maybe I just didn't notice in other games), and when you click the
*middle* mouse button, the client segfaults. GDB tracked it down to here:

1098                  else if(b == 'm'){
1099                          // this needs to be better arranged (...)
1100                          Unit *u = unitUnderCursor;
1101                          ClientUnit *cu = &unitArray[u->id];
1102
1103                          if( (u != NULL) && (u->player == player) ){

(in input.c)
Notice something funny there? Yup, you checked if u is NULL or not *after*
dereferencing it. Whoops!

But hey, if it was finished, you'd have said so :)

BTW- What's "blibio"? I forgot to ask last time.
  Tomble