palito-dev

Re: [palito-dev] next version

From: barrett
Subject: Re: [palito-dev] next version
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:13:54 -0300

On Mon, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:14:40AM +0100, Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:
>  OK, since then I did some more source diving, and worked out that to
> get commands sent to the server, I had to start the line with a slash
> character. Then after some more source diving, I worked out that I
> had to do 2 connect commands (one with the client, to tell it which
> server to use, and one to the server, to tell it which name to use).

We'll eventualy have a pre-game screen with a nice user interface
for that..

>  I couldn't build things (looks like that's #iffed out), in at least

You can use the 'build' server command:
/build 1 factory 10 -20
Will tell the commander (that's usualy the unit with id 1) to build
a factory on positon 10,-20

All orders are transmited that way, for ex, when you tell you commander
to move to 30,40, the client sends 'move 1 30 40\n' to the server.

> 1101                          ClientUnit *cu = &unitArray[u->id];
> 1102
> 1103                          if( (u != NULL) && (u->player == player) ){
>
> Notice something funny there? Yup, you checked if u is NULL or not *after*
> dereferencing it. Whoops!

Thanks for pointing that!
http://palito.9hells.org/src/palito-dev.2003-08-11.tgz
has it fixed, and also a radar that is resizable and have proper proportions
(previously it was always square, even if the map was not).

> But hey, if it was finished, you'd have said so :)

He, there is probably tons more of that silly bugs out there..
And many more are to come!  :)  At least until we complete this re-write.

> BTW- What's "blibio"? I forgot to ask last time.

It's just a bunch of common functions that are used also on other projects.
'biblioteca' is 'library' in Portuguese.

regards,
barrett.