palito-dev

Re: [palito-dev] graphic engine

From: Michael Devey
Subject: Re: [palito-dev] graphic engine
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:12:45 +1000

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:41:57AM -0300, address@hidden wrote:
> While I'm focused on the game engine, and mainly to finish the translation
> to the client/server model, let's think a bit on the future of the palito
> graphic engine.
>
> Looks like it's not going to be worthy to continue with the multi-platform
> flush backends. Too much trouble for little advantages (hardware accelerated
> lines on old 2D cards).
>
> So we'll probably discontinue the X11 and Win32 backends, and work with
> SDL only (afterall it works on Windows and many other systems anyway).

Slower yes, but worth the reduction in effort to get palito to work.  SDL++

> On the other hand, there is the possibility that we'll end up going full 3D
> with OpenGL.  That said, is it worthy to continue to improve the current
> graphic engine AND palito visuals (units, effects, user interface)?
> Some may be adapted, but many (including all the units) will have to be
> re-written for OpenGL.

Personnally I like the fact we're not aiming for "pretty" but eventually we
?have? to go 3D.  So I'm not overly excited about 3D right now but I think it
will be much easier to backtrack from 3D to 2D.  So if we went 3D sooner ppl
might be able to do more work on the visuals and interface without fear of it
being thrown away :P.

That said, take a look at bison, the 3D aspect will have to be pretty tight or
it'll grind the game to a halt (and look garish - I so much prefer the simply
look of palito over bison last time I looked).

that's me,

myke