palito-dev

RE: [palito-dev] Knock knock?

From: Mark Storer
Subject: RE: [palito-dev] Knock knock?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:04:07 -0700

I admit, I'm vaguely interested in development.  But I've also got a pet
project or two of my own, and working on Palito would take away what little
time they get.

I just finished a game programming night course at a local community college.
The advanced students had the whole semester to come up with just about
anything they wanted.  My project uses boost_1_31_0 and DirectX 8.0, an odd
combination.  That's the latest and greatest from www.boost.org, and an older
version of DirectX.  No sound, pathetic-but-present scoring/health display (GDI
calls in a directX app: flicker), only one enemy type, and "programmer art".

Groovy particle effect system though.  Just point-sprites and solid colors (not
one texture in the whole game), but it's amazing how far you can get with "just
point-sprites" when it comes to particle effects.  Probably not terribly
efficient though.  Running on my computer and card it's hard to tell until
things get Really Bad.

Not bad for 4 day's work.  That's a slight disservice... I had
joystick/keyboard/mouse code, and could draw a mesh on the screen.  I went from
there to something not unlike Robotron, over the course of an extended weekend
(took a couple days off for cramming).  I'm a citizen of Procrasi-Nation.

I'd give you a link if I had the thing on the web.  My ISP offers 10mb of free
space, I just might make use of it.  I was thinking about just sending it out
as an attachment to the list, but my manners got the better of me.

The .zip is 218k.  Anyone interested?

--Mark Storer
  Senior Software Engineer
  Verity, Inc.