parallel

WG: GNU parallel: bug found message

From: Markus.Mertens
Subject: WG: GNU parallel: bug found message
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:23:32 +0000

Von: Mertens, Markus
Gesendet: Freitag, 18. Januar 2019 11:22
An: firma@tange.dk
Betreff: GNU parallel: bug found message

Dear Dr. Tange,

after reading your book "GNU parallel 2018" I still have no idea how to start GNU parallel with systemd as backgroud service under linux. The following script does not work because parallel assumes somehow that it should create a directory. But this already exists and I have all permissions for it. Parallel itself believes that I have found a bug:

[...]$ bash /projects/freesurfer/bin/run_parallel_freesurfer.sh 10 :,thalamus_nfs
Academic tradition requires you to cite works you base your article on.
When using programs that use GNU Parallel to process data for publication
please cite:

  O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel - The Command-Line Power Tool,
  ;login: The USENIX Magazine, February 2011:42-47.

This helps funding further development; AND IT WON'T COST YOU A CENT.
If you pay 10000 EUR you should feel free to use GNU Parallel without citing.

To silence this citation notice: run 'parallel --citation'.

parallel: This should not happen. You have found a bug.
Please contact <parallel@gnu.org> and include:
* The version number: 20170322
* The bugid: host check too many col0: thalamus_nfs     mkdir: cannot create directory '/projects/freesurfer': Permission denied
* The command line being run
* The files being read (put the files on a webserver if they are big)

If you get the error on smaller/fewer files, please include those instead.
[...]$
[...]$
[...]$ cat run_parallel_freesurfer.sh
#!/bin/bash

jobs=$1
hosts=$2

( exec tail -f -n +1 $FREESURFER_PATH/config/_joblist_ & echo $! >$FREESURFER_PATH/config/tail.pid ) | parallel --workdir $SUBJECTS_DIR -u -j$jobs --filter-hosts -S $hosts -u

[...]$
[...]$
[...]$ echo $FREESURFER_PATH $SUBJECTS_DIR
/projects/freesurfer /projects/freesurfer/subjects
[...]$

Once the script is working I would like to run it via systemd like "nohup bash /projects/freesurfer/bin/run_parallel_freesurfer.sh 10 :,thalamus_nfs &". Will this be possible?

Kind regards,

Markus Mertens

Evangelisches Klinikum Bethel gGmbH
Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Münster

Sitz der Gesellschaft
Kantensiek 11 | 33617 Bielefeld

Amtsgericht Bielefeld HRB 30169

Geschäftsführer