parallel

suggestion for new option: --block-break

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: suggestion for new option: --block-break
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 22:05:21 +0000

I sometimes process files where I would like to be able to allow block boundaries to only occur at rows where “—block-breaks” occur.

I would like to be able to define such breaks as a perl _expression_, evaluated for each line, whose value must be different from the prior line for that line to be the beginning of a new block.

The _expression_ should be able to refer to columns either by number or by –header name.

For example, I have a program to emits a graph for every protein, where every line is residue of the protein, and there is a column, proteinID, whose value changes when the protein changes which I would like to call as follows:

parallel -j 40 –cat –block 10K --block-breaks proteinID

In the meantime I suppose a workaround is to preprocess the input and insert fake –recstart wherever the column changes value.

Other workaround welcome….

Cheers,

Malcolm Cook