pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] My First Program

From: Emmet Ford
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] My First Program
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:25:59 -0500

Replace the digit "1" with the letter "l" (lower case "L") in ".gobl1" and each occurrence of "mov1".

Regards,

--Emmet Ford

George Penney wrote:

Jonathan

Thanks for the reply, I believed I had subscribed to the list by responding to the subscription confirmation email and getting a further response. Here is a plain text version of my problem.

I am having trouble assembling my first program on a Red Hat Linux system, what am I doing wrong?

$ uname -a
Linux gpm 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:37:53 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

$ cat exit.s
#PURPOSE:
#INPUT:
#OUTPUT:
#VARIABLES:
#
.section .data
.section .text
.glob1 _start
_start:
mov1 $1, %eax           # linux kernal call for exit
mov1 $0, %ebx           # return status
int $0x80               # run exit

$ as exit.s -o exit.o
exit.s: Assembler messages:
exit.s:3: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.glob1'
exit.s:5: Error: no such instruction: `mov1 $1,%eax'
exit.s:6: Error: no such instruction: `mov1 $0,%ebx'
$

Regards
George