pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] Introduction and question

From: Jonathan Bartlett
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] Introduction and question
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:31:50 -0800 (PST)

> feel alone in the process of readint it and learning. Thank you a lot
> Jonathan Bartlett!!!!!!

I'm glad you like it!

> The first thing I didn't like was the pre-fetch of a value. That is, it
> fetches a value from the list, puts it into a register an then the loops
> starts. And obviusly, during the loops, more values are fetched (with exactly
> the same sentence). The fact is that I've been programming for more than 10
> years already and I never liked that kind of things: sentences that are
> repeated, inside and outside of a loop. Is there any good reason to have done
> it that way ?

It's because I think that the other way has a bit of a confusing order to
newcomers.  I think this is how they would more naturally think about it.
Starting from this book, they have a lot of time to work on style and the
"right" way of doing things.

That brings me to something else that I've been pondering and I thought
this would be a good time to ask.  What _is_ a good sequence of books and
studies to bring a person who knows nothing about programming into a
mature developer?  Obviously practice, but I'm also thinking about a
sequence of books that would fill the gaps technically, philosophically,
and stylistically.

The reason is that, eventually, I think it would be nice to have a
"Programmer's Guild" which includes both mentoring and education, to lead
new developers into maturity in a regular fashion.

Any ideas from the list?

Jon