pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] exit program segmentation fault

From: Richard Wright
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] exit program segmentation fault
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:03:02 +0000

Still cannot get past what is wrong with the exit program:

#as
.section .data
.section .text
.globl _start
_start:
movl $1, %eax
movl $0, %ebx
int $0x80

as exit.s -o exit.o
#ld exit.o -o exit
"Cannot find entry symbol _start;" (Try line 4!)
#./exit
"segmentation fault"

I have tried altering the spaces and indentations. The same error message keeps coming up. I read a thread where someone else had a similar problem on linuxassembly.org. He solved it by changing from capitals to lower case. Mine is written in lower case anyway, but just to be sure I tried doing it with capitals and again in lower case. Still got the same response. I have experimented by putting the last two commands either in the shell or in the assembler. That just confuses it as to where the exit.s file is. Since the error message was returning _start with a semi colon I tried entering it in with a semi colon. Still the same response. I wondered about the kernal command $0x80. I'm using the letter x, but I wonder if it should be the multiplication symbol, but if that were the case it should be $0*80 on my computer as I'm sure it is on anyone elses machine. Tried it anyway, still no luck. After entering

echo $?

it responded

139
I have re-read the chapter over and over and I can't think what's wrong. I'm entering it exactly as it's written.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rick