pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] exit program

From: Jonathan Bartlett
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] exit program
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:09:47 -0700 (PDT)

> What I was hoping for was by running the assembler and telling it to put the
> output in exit.s I would then have the exit.s file  containing the exit
> program, rather than it just being an empty file as I suspect it is at the
> moment.

???  You're putting the output in a .s file?  .s files are for assembly
_source_, not object code.

> You may be onto something with the desktop. Thing is I can't see any "save
> as" option or similar. All that happens on the desptop is after I enter
> as exit.s -o exit.o
> (file exit.s does not exist)

exit.s ABSOLUTELY MUST EXIT before running the above command.

> can you clarify naming procedure at all?

exit.s should contain the code as listed in the book.
After you have exit.s, you do
as exit.s -o exit.o
exit.o now has the object code. Now you do
ld exit.o -o exit
exit is now the full executable and can be run like this:
./exit

Do an ls -l of the directory you are working in and send it to the list.

Jon