pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] pgubook with nasm assembler version

From: AndreiGrechkin
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] pgubook with nasm assembler version
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:29:34 +0000

Dear all,

Could you please answer a question about memory addressing (the beginning of book).

there's a text (Data Accessing methods, p. 15):
"For example, if you wanted to access the fourth byte from location 2002, you
would load your index register with 3 (remember, we start counting at 0) and set
the multiplier to 1 since you are going a byte at a time. This would get you
location 2005. However, if you wanted to access the fourth word from location
2002, you would load your index register with 3 and set the multiplier to 4. This
would load from location 2014 - the fourth word."

I don't understand why to access the fourth word I need index 3 and multiplier 4,
I think I need index register 4 and multiplier 3. Because If I need just the next word,
I need index register 4 and multiplier 1.
Am I not right?

Thanx in advance!

Andrei