pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] Problems assembling and linking

From: Kenny Hegeland
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] Problems assembling and linking
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 22:28:03 -0400

I'm just getting into the book and I've hit a snag when attempting to assemble
and link the power function example, originally I was getting "Error: illegal
suffix", I can't get access to the full error currently.

I'm using x86-64, with some googling I was able to find popq, and pushq with
registers having a prefix of r instead of e. When changing code to use q
suffixes instead of l suffixes I can get the code to assemble and link, but it
seems to loop continuously, eventually giving a segmentation fault.

I tried assembling and linking with

as --32 power.s -o power.o
ld -melf_i386 power.o -o power

And the code exactly as the book has it and it assembled and linked fine, but
again, infinite loop to eventual segmentation fault. I'd rather not have to
assemble and link for 32 bit and I would like to learn the correct instructions
for x86-64. Any help on where I can find equivalents of the instruction set the
book uses?

I'm very new to assembly so bear with me if ive left out some important
information, I do have 7-8 months java experience so I'm not entirely a
beginner, but far from advanced at programming.