pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] Next PGU Book - Add real world useful example(s)?

From: Roger
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] Next PGU Book - Add real world useful example(s)?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 12:22:59 -0500

After visiting the https://github.com/johnnyb/programming_under_the_hood which
currently describes the goals for the next PGU book, I would suggest (if not
already planned) adding one or a few real world useful examples.

For example, a Bash scripting example might include a script/code snippet for
renaming multiple files at once, for teaching variable assignments and loops.

I might be going out on a limb here as I do not always use Assembly language
for programming, more or less reading the book was for learning the inner
workings of the computer as well as learning Assembly coding.  But it would be
nice to see an explanation of how and where the Assembly language is still
useful and actively utilized within today's world.

A possibly good example for starters would be to explain a popular CPU
optimization register.  (ie. Intel's mmx, sse, ...)  And/or describing a
low-level (GCC) compiler source code snippet?  (The later could likely be
easily rolled into using the Intel MMX/SSE registers, etc.)  Albeit, this is
pretty simple when one sits down and thinks about it, but this might be
noteworthy?

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/