phpgroupware-developers

Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Nested db-objects

From: Maât
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Nested db-objects
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:20:55 +0200

Sigurd Nes a écrit :
From: Dave Hall address@hidden
Except in the case of connecting to external systems, there should be no
need to clone the db object.  If there is then your design is probably
broken.

Well - I respectfully disagree :)

Regards

Sigurd
I too respectfully disagree :)

Once again we need more to have something useable produced even if it's a beta or a release candidate than fighting on design beauty

Rather than lock project evolution for religious reasons i think we need to separate the tasks

deciding wether app developpers should be allowed or not to use db objects clones is totally non critical... if they decide to design with several accesses they will do whatever you decided before them... you can write down quality rules or phpgroupware best practices to help app developers create elegant code that will have a better effect on design beauty and global performance and phpgw image than locking things and managing developers grunting.

Please when it comes to framework design please make sure the framework allows developers to do everything they want (even things that you didn't imagine when you designed the framework) even if they do things in ways that you consider ugly

But this decision is not critical for phpgroupware evolution : there are few lines to change to go back and forth on this question. It can be changed later once we have a global agreement on this point.

There are other things much more critical... things are broken in phpgroupware atm and it would be better to spend time fixing them...

my 2 cents