phpprintipp

[Phpprintipp] PHP::PRINT::IPP implementation. Advices and consultations.

From: Alvaro Brizuela Budin
Subject: [Phpprintipp] PHP::PRINT::IPP implementation. Advices and consultations.
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:23:58 -0300

Hello Tomas,

First of all, thanks for your IPP print library.
We are developing a web based administration application for a commercial company that it is developed in Symfony 1.4 PHP Framework. We need to send print jobs from the web server to printers located on diferent locations (branch offices) depending of the logic (code) of certain functionality.
I chose CUPS under Linux as a Printing Server.
PHP::PRINT::IPP worked perfectly for all i need till now.
The media type of the print jobs we need to print is PDF, MS EXCEL (mainly) and TEXT and MS WORD.

I'm actuallly dealing with a couple of problems in order to make this works, and i want to ask you next questions:

- Do you recommend this configuration: PHP::PRINT::IPP + CUPS for this implementation?
- As i say it is important to print MS EXCEL and MS WORD documents and CUPS didn't supported natively. I found a filter named "officetop" I'm having troubles to install it o configure it or whatever it need to works. What do you recommend me in order to print MS OFFICE documents?.
- The problems i have now is to configure CUPS properly. What i mainly need is to configure security and permissions for web access administration (poorly achieved) nad for the ipp jobs sent from the web server to the printing server (not achieved). I've search a lot and has been difficult to find solid information and guides to configure CUPS beyond the official documentation. Any recomendation about it?

Hope you read this and not bother.
Thanks a lot.

Regards.
Alvaro