pika-dev

Re: [Pika-dev] pika-0.1pre4 tarball broken

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Pika-dev] pika-0.1pre4 tarball broken
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:24:05 +1100

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 17:22, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>
>
>     > Yeah, that's fine.  Sorry, I used star-merge the first time I merged
>     > with you, but when I asked in #arch for their recommendations about
>     > branching and merging, I came under the impression that star-merge was
>     > intended for complicated purposes and replay --skip-present was for
>     > the general case
>
> I'll bet I can guess who you spoke with :-)

Perhaps. I've been consistently describing it as 'just another tool in
the toolkit'.

>     > so I tried that and it worked and even applied the
>     > patches a little bit faster so I just stuck with it.
>
> It's not even wrong -- it's just surprising.  --skip-present should
> ideally be viewed as an esoteric feature only for use by People Deeply
> Immersed in How Arch Works and who additionally, Have a Difficult
> Patch-Flow to Solve --- it shouldn't (ahem) be casually recommended on
> #arch as a superior replacement to star-merge.

;). IMO star-merge and --skip-present are complementary - rest assured
that I don't think either are presumptively superior..... although I do
think that skip-present can handle cases star-merge can't (and thus,
thats why it exists ;)).

Rob