pika-dev

Re: [Pika-dev] ping numbers.pika.hackerlab

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Pika-dev] ping numbers.pika.hackerlab
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:43:12 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>

    > So are you going to give me the instructions you alluded to
    > earlier on how I can resync my archive with yours or do you
    > still want me to wait longer before continuing development?

Oh... forgot.

Have you made more recent changes on your branch?   If not then just:

        get my latest tree
        set-tree-version to your branch
        commit

If you have made more recent changes on your branch:

        get your latest tree
        merge in my latest changes
        make sure the merge looks right
        sync-tree with my branch
        commit

The one line summary is "make sure you have all the logs in my tree in
yours."

    >> The big issues for floating point io in libhackerlab are, in my mind,
    >> (and in order of priority):

    >>      1) correctness

    >>      2) not dragging in more than a few K of .o files if your
    >>         only use for conversion is printfmt and/or the hackerlab
    >>         cvt_* functions;   not using absurd amounts of data
    >>         memory at run-time for those funtions.

    >>      3) speed

    > Issues #1 and #2 don't seem like a major problem with my current
    > implementation.

To the extent that that's true -- that's good enough to merge.

    > While I still haven't done any formal tests on the
    > correctness of the outputs, they've lined up perfectly with glibc
    > whenever I've tested.

Ok.   Since nothing yet depends on this I'll consider merging anyway.
Perhaps we can muster some help with testing of it.

    > Also, regarding issue #2, I'm currently using a
    > fixed array of short integers (so no dynamic memory is needed) and
    > what code I have (still just digit generation) compiles with gcc -O2
    > to just over 5K.

    > Issue #3 is valid however as I'm still running about an order of
    > magnitude slower than glibc's.

Small matter of hacking.

-t