pika-dev

Re: [Pika-dev] viewarch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Pika-dev] viewarch
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:01:34 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>

    > > on an unrelated note, these days i've nothing to hack on pika: as
    > > always, suggestions are welcome! ;)

    > If you don't have anything else to worry about, maybe now would be a
    > good time to gather together some of Tom's emails from the srfi-50
    > mailing list and stick them into the Pika notes under rationale for
    > the FFI?

    > On a side note, you should probably stay out of the
    > libscm-numbers[-reps] directories if you're looking for something to
    > do because I've done some serious remodeling in there.  I'd recommend
    > you download my scm--numbers branch, but it doesn't compile and a lot
    > of the temporary names I've chosen were rather arbitrary until I could
    > decide on better solutions -- some functions don't even exist as stubs
    > yet.

Another possibility (jao):  are you interested in strings?

I'm cranking (in bursts) some code in hackerlab in support of the
string type for Pika -- Unicode primitives and also stuff for
"edittable strings".   I'm behind in writing test cases for that new
stuff and, if you'd like, I can try to split the (non-test) coding
tasks with you.

Very briefly: it's stuff related to unicode string manipulation and
also edittable text.   My approach to edittable text is to represent
strings as splay trees (similar to "ropes" or "cords" -- c.f. Boehm
for examples and literature pointers).   My approach to
splay-trees-for-strings is slightly novel [*] in that I'm using
_functional_ splay trees -- the splaying operation doesn't mutate an
existing tree but returns a new one (sharing structure with the old)
instead.

-t

[*] I say "novel" but, while I don't have a cite, I could swear that
this technique is one I picked up from 3rd hand rumours about lisp
machines.