pika-dev

[Pika-dev] Re: Garbage collection/finalizers

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: [Pika-dev] Re: Garbage collection/finalizers
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:07:38 +0200

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I just wondered about how strings should be garbage collected;
> currently, only the vtable object is reclaimed, but the udstr object
> stays around forever. Clearly, we need a finalizer for string
> objects. [...]
I just realized that a similiar argument could be applied to symbols
and keywords, too, since they internally refer to an udstr. Since we
want to keep these strings and the resulting symbols/keywords around
forever (at least I think we do), we don't need to unref the
strings. This however, led me to another observation: AFAICS, the
current GC implementation does *not* protect symbol and keyword table
from GC; clearly this should be added (or am I missing something?).

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.