platform-testers

[platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-3.10.19-2ea9

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-3.10.19-2ea9
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 22:09:36 +0200

This should be the final snapshot before grep-3.11.
There have been many changes in gnulib since last time,
plus a workaround for a PCRE2 bug that's fixed in development
sources. This is yet another good reason to build grep using
the very latest pcre2.

As before, I bootstrapped this snapshot with the latest
gnulib, autoconf and automake, hoping to flush out any bugs
before releases of the latter two.

Thanks for any testing.

grep snapshot:
  https://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz      1.7 MB
  https://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz.sig
  https://meyering.net/grep/grep-3.10.19-2ea9.tar.xz

Here's the NEWS:
=====================================
** Bug fixes

  With -P, patterns like [\d] now work again.  Fixing this has caused
  grep to revert to the behavior of grep 3.8, in that patterns like \w
  and \b go back to using ASCII rather than Unicode interpretations.
  However, future versions of GNU grep and/or PCRE2 are likely to fix
  this and change the behavior of \w and \b back to Unicode again,
  without breaking [\d] as 3.10 did.
  [bug introduced in grep 3.10]

  grep no longer fails on files dated after the year 2038,
  when running on 32-bit x86 and ARM hosts using glibc 2.34+.
  [bug introduced in grep 3.9]

  grep -P no longer fails to match patterns using negated classes
  like \D or \W when linked with PCRE2 10.34 or newer.
  [bug introduced in grep 3.8]

** Changes in behavior

  grep --version now prints a line describing the version of PCRE2 it uses.
  For example, it prints this when built with the very latest from git:
    grep -P uses PCRE2 10.43-DEV 2023-04-14
  or this with what's currently available in Fedora 37:
    grep -P uses PCRE2 10.40 2022-04-14

  previous versions of grep wouldn't respect the user provided settings for
  PCRE_CFLAGS and PCRE_LIBS when building if a libpcre2-8 pkg-config module
  was found.

=====================================

Changes in grep since 3.10.12-0f2c:

Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón (2):
      build: prevent pkg-config from overriding PCRE_* settings
      pcre: work around a PCRE2_MATCH_INVALID_UTF bug

Jim Meyering (3):
      doc: say that `-f -` reads patterns from stdin
      build: update gnulib to latest
      tests: temporarily omit gnulib's strtoll and strtoull tests

Paul Eggert (2):
      build: support explicit ‘PCRE_CFLAGS= PCRE_LIBS=’
      doc: improve doc for -P '\d'

Changes in gnulib since 3.10.12-0f2c:

* gnulib dd0a48f50a...c2a5953f17 (37):