pspp-dev

Re: Post 0.6.0 releases.

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Post 0.6.0 releases.
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:22:55 +0800

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:39:04AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:53:13PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     >      After the release, I want to try to get out bug-fix releases, at
     >      least, on a more frequent basis than we've been doing.  Let's see
     >      how that goes.
     >
     > I suggest that we maintain three branches.
     >
     > 1. A branch containing the current release patched with  bug-fixes.
     >
     > 2. A branch containing 1 (above) patched with enhancements.
     >    "Enhancements" in this context means  changes which provide new
     >    functionality without requiring major code reorganisation.  Eg new
     >    commands which don't require low level library modification.
     >
     > 3. A branch containing 2. patched with any changes which don't fit
     >    the above criteria.

     Is there some existing project that uses a similar scheme?  I am
     familiar with projects that have a bug fix-only branch and a
     development branch, but I am a little concerned that maintaining
     both #2 and #3 could cause a lot of extra work.

Well Debian uses a very similar system:

1. The current release.

2. The current release + fixes for security related bugs.

3. The current release + fixes for security related bugs + other
   changes.

Obviously, more branches means more work.  How much extra work depends
on how much the branches overlap, how often they're merged and how
well git has been designed to handle branches.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3