qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] ARMv8 (aarch64) emulator

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] ARMv8 (aarch64) emulator
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 14:34:30 +0000

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 14:18, Benny Baraz <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to run ARMv8 (aarch64) emulator.
>
> I have created an image centos7-arm.img with
> qemu-img create -f qcow2 centos7-arm.img 40G
>
> I run the qemu-system-aarch64 on Fedora on Xen.
> (particularly
> qemu-system-aarch64 -boot d -cdrom
> /root/Download/QEMU/CentOS-7-aarch64-Minimal-1810.iso -m 8000 -hda
> centos7-arm.img -machine virt
> )
>
> But there is a challenge - it answers
> Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
> gtk initialization failed

This looks like the problem is just that you are not set up
to be able to run graphical (X) programs on wherever you're
running this: it's not specific to QEMU.

You should start by checking whether you can run other graphical
programs, like "xclock" or "xlogo". If not, then you need
to fix that first. Or use one of QEMU's other UI frontends,
like Spice or VNC, which can run over the network.

Alternatively, if your guest image can be configured to use
a serial console then you can tell QEMU to use a serial
port with "-nographic". But this will only produce output
if the guest is sending it there -- you would need to
investigate how to get Centos to do that.

https://translatedcode.wordpress.com/2017/07/24/installing-debian-on-qemus-64-bit-arm-virt-board/
has instructions on how to install Debian via a serial console;
I haven't ever tried Centos.

thanks
-- PMM