qemu-block

Re: [Qemu-block] qemu-img: add seek option to dd

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] qemu-img: add seek option to dd
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 09:53:23 -0600

On 2/22/19 8:59 AM, Max Reitz wrote:

>> Is there anything I'm missing?  What is the status of that patch?
>
> Eric sent another version last year:
>
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-block/2018-08/msg00513.html
>
> My main issue is that dd should be a frontend to convert, but it still
> isn't.  On top, I don't see why we need feature parity with dd when it's
> also possible to use qemu-nbd and just the normal dd.
>
> (Or qemu-blkfuse for which I should sent patches one of these days...)
>
> I think it's wrong to re-implement existing tools in qemu.  Instead, we
> should work on making it simpler for those existing tools to access qemu
> images.
>
> Note that while I did rant a bit about the concept of Eric's patch, I
> didn't object it in principle.  I pointed out two technical issues, Eric
> talked about a v2, but that never appeared, I think.

Yeah, it's still on my TODO list, stalled behind incremental backups. It
will resurface when I finish my work on making qemu NBD not so awkward
when it comes to non-sector-aligned images, but as 4.0 soft freeze is
rapidly approaching, that may slip into 4.1.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226